Skip to content

Policy Relating to Copyrights and Commitment of Effort for Faculty

On this Page


The Policy Relating to Copyrights and Commitment of Effort for Faculty provides guidelines on copyright ownership for scholarly works, and the expectations on the amount of time faculty members devote to various professional activities, including teaching, research, and external commitments.

Related FAQs

I am a Principal Investigator on a federal award to a domestic university and have an unpaid appointment at a foreign university. At the foreign site I have access to lab space, research materials, and staff. Should I report this as Other Support?

Yes, this appointment must be reported as Other Support. While monetary compensation is not received, the lab space, materials, and staff are resources provided in support of and/or related to the research efforts. Other payments, such as travel or living expenses must also be reported. NIH, NSF, and DoD require applicants to list all positions and scientific appointments, both domestic and foreign, that are held by senior/key personnel. This includes affiliations with foreign entities or governments, such as titled academic, professional, or institutional appointments, whether or not remuneration is received, and whether full-time, part-time, or voluntary (including adjunct, visiting, or honorary).

View All FAQ's